Saturday 6 July 2013

Beaded jewellery

Years ago, before leaving for Switzerland, I lived in Amsterdam for one or two years. There I became interested in beads, found this nice little bead shop, bought a book on how to bead and started beading. My little sister who, was still at school, sold some of my creations to her teachers. However, my love for beading started at a much earlier age. I think I must have been about 6 or 7 when a neighbour asked me if I wanted to make something for mothers day. She showed me how to make a brooch with embroidering little flowers with seeds beeds on a piece of cotton, wrapping this around a strong piece of cardboard, filling it with cotton wool and sewing a safetypin on the back.

When I moved to Switzerland, I started on other crafts like pottery and painting but years later, I tried my hand once more at beading and even found some of the beads again that I bought in Amsterdam. This was still in the pre-internet era and I subscribed to a beading magazine.

Here are two of my examples:



However, compared to some of the pieces I found on Pinterest, mine look like child's play. I wish there were more hours in a day so that I could take this up again. The examples below are real pieces of art.






















No comments: